Amazon picture requirements: 4 tips for optimizing photos to sell more
- Oct 13, 2023
It makes a big impact to have a crisp, high-quality backdrop image that conveys the image to potential buyers. Humans, as we all are. In case you were unaware, research has shown that product listings with superior photos have higher conversion rates. We can assist you if you want to increase your sales on Amazon or if you are new to the platform and have no idea what Amazon requires in terms of product pictures. We shall touch on the subject of Amazon picture criteria in this guide. Let's go over the fundamentals first.
Amazon product picture types
The types of product pictures you use are determined by the type of product you have. However, there are three fundamental types of pictures in general. These are:
- Primary Picture
- Infographic Picture
- Lifestyle Picture
The most important part of your Amazon product listing is the main picture, which should always have a white background to help shoppers visualize what your product will look like.
Pictures with text illustrating the advantages of the picture or a visual depiction of those advantages are known as infographic images. A key component if you want to emphasize the general operation of your products is an infographic image.
Lifestyle pictures are necessary to show the product in use. It helps the customer visualize how utilizing the product would feel because they are unable to see or feel the picture when they are buying on Amazon.com.
Amazon product picture requirements
Some requirements for an Amazon product picture listing are listed below:
1. The product title and picture must match for the item to be sold.
2. 85 percent of the picture should be covered by the product.
A professional photoshoot and scanning are necessary to achieve an accurate color representation in the picture. Jagged edges and pixelation should not be apparent.
4. Pictures that are sexually provocative or involve nudity are also prohibited. Children's and infants' leotards, swimwear, or underwear shouldn't be worn on human models.
5. No trademarks or anything that could be mistaken for an Amazon logo should be included in pictures. Products like Amazon, Prime, Alexa, and the Amazon Smile Logo are among them.
6. No Amazon label, such as "Amazon's Choice," "Premium Choice," "Amazon Alexa," "Works with Amazon Alexa," "Best Seller," or "Top Seller," should be present on a picture.
7. Close-up or cropped photos are OK.
8. Pure white backgrounds (RGB 255, 255, 255) are required.
One important factor is the size of your Amazon product picture. You can upload pictures up to 1000 pixels in size if you want buyers to be able to enlarge them. The smallest file size you can use for your listing is 500 pixels. However, an image's ideal size is 1600 pixels, and its most important side is 10,000 pixels.
Main Amazon picture requirements
The picture that dominates the product page and is displayed to clients during their search is your primary picture. In the result of your Google search, the primary picture is also displayed.
With so many products available on Amazon, your primary picture must stand out. Therefore, having a polished, high-quality photograph could be very beneficial. If the picture is subpar, customers will inevitably switch to the next offering. The primary picture specifications for an Amazon product listing are as follows:
- The background of the main pictures should be a pure white color scheme with RGB values of 255, 255, and 255.
- Professional photography is required for the main pictures, and no graphics, drawings, illustrations, mockups, or placeholders are allowed.
- It is not appropriate to include in the picture any props or accessories that are not part of the product.
- It is not permitted to use any text, borders, logos, color blocks, watermarks, or other designs that are positioned over the product or in the backdrop.
- You cannot view the product in more than one view.
- With the exception of jewelry, photos should not be altered or cropped by the frame's edge; instead, the entire product should be visible within the frame.
- The primary cover art for books, music, and videos or DVDs should fill the frame and be displayed.
- Products have to be shown off without their packaging; cases, boxes, and pouches should only be included in the primary picture of a product if they are a necessary component.
- However, models exhibiting various physical mobilities with assistive technology (wheelchairs, prostheses, etc.) are allowed. No human model should be sitting, kneeling, reclining, or lying down.
- Accessories and apparel in multipacks must be photographed flat, not on the model.
- Even if a clothing accessory is transparent, flesh-colored, and so on, it should never reveal any part of a mannequin.
- Clothes for both sexes should be shown on real models rather than mannequins.
- It is necessary to take photos of shoes at a 45-degree angle, and just one shoe should be on exhibit.
Amazon Lifestyle, Infographics, and Other Secondary Image Requirements
Emphasizing the qualities and advantages of your product, lifestyle, infographics, and other ancillary items aid in the sale of your main products. When showcasing secondary products, you can display them being used or in appropriate settings. Props, backgrounds, text, logos, and close-ups are all acceptable.
It's important to remember, though, that a great secondary image should not only be glitzy but also assist the client in learning about the product—its colors, size, and other details, for example. Furthermore, it's a great idea to provide size charts and comparative images since they promote conversions.
Infographics, Amazon Lifestyle, and Additional Secondary Picture Needs
Here are a few pointers to help increase your sales on Amazon:
Tip 1: Make Use of Good Lighting
When it comes to product photography, professional lighting is quite important. Customers can see more details about the goods in a professional photo shoot. A picture that is gloomy, boring, or shady can drive buyers to another listing.
Tip 2: Consider split testing.
Use two alternative types of product photos and try the split testing method to determine which ones work best for you. A few split testing tools are accessible on Amazon, and it also employs third-party polling services like PickFu to gather user feedback.
Research revealed that 98 million people use Amazon's mobile app each month. You also need to make sure that your photographs are properly sized for mobile viewers.
Tip 4: Use pictures with a white background.
It makes a big difference to use an Amazon product image with a white background since it gives customers a better impression of the goods and makes your listing appear more polished and simple.